By Sid Chadwick – 01/25/18
Published in American Printer
“Four things come not back: the spoken word, the spent arrow, the past, the neglected opportunity…”…………Omar Ibn Al-Halif
We have a relatively rare Pressroom Performance Workshop — scheduled for March 5, 6 & 7 — sponsored by Ripon Printing, Ripon, WI.
Recently I had the opportunity to receive a Pressroom Performance Improvement Chart— from a previous Pressroom Performance Workshop attendee.
With Permission from the company’s President, here it is:
A Few Descriptive Explanations of this Chart:
1. Across the Top Row — 3# -2016 Quarters — through 3# Quarters – 2017.
2. Down First Vertical Row on left side — Press Crew Identifications.
3. Chart Numbers — “Average Sellable Sheets” — per Press Crew — Per Hr.
4. Age of Presses — All — well over 10 years old.
5. Involvement of Pressroom Mgmnt. in Performance Improvement: Nearly “0”.
6. Equipment: 40” 4 & 6-Color Sheet-fed, and One – Half-Web.
7. Going Forward: Improved Performance Lead to New Presses Being – Affordable
Many organizations would like to afford updated, more productive equipment, but don’t want the risk with such a capital investment.
This organization — reduced its risks for such purchases — by delivering not only noticeably increased revenues — but increased revenues — at significantly reduced costs.
These improved results — were accomplished — by a combination of “improved education & training”, “changes in processes” — and “improved management of information”.
What isn’t shown on this chart: (a) Radically reduced Waste, (b) Reduced Make-Ready times, (c) Improved Revenues, (d) Reduced Overtime — and (e) Reduced Turn-Times — for Rush Jobs — that gained new Customers.
“Tell me and I’ll forget. Show me, and I may not remember. Involve me, and I’ll understand…..”………Native American proverb